Eligibility for membership of Hosted Accommodation Australia Ltd (HAA) is only available for applicants who can demonstrate that they can comply with the concept of offering hosted accommodation. Please note that some fully self catering accommodation can be regarded as hosted. See below for definitions:
Hosted Accommodation: Accommodation is defined as “Hosted” if a guest receives the required degree of interaction with the host during their stay.
Accommodation Unit: The accommodation unit is the accommodation that a guest is being charged for e.g. a guest room, cabin, chalet, cottage, apartment etc.
Farmstay: A property offering guests accommodation and an interactive experience of farm life or activities on a rural property. Hosts may be available to interact with the guests during their stay.
Bed and Breakfast: A business where breakfast is a component of the daily tariff and is prepared and served by the host.
Bed and Breakfast up to 5 accommodation units
Guests are accommodated either in the same building as the host or in a building close to the host’s accommodation. Breakfast and other meals are prepared by the host and served either in the host’s dining room, a special guest dining room or the guest’s room. Guest rooms are serviced daily at the discretion of the guest. Shower and toilet facilities are generally en-suite but may in some instances be shared by guests, but not with hosts.
Self Contained with catering
- An accommodation unit consisting of one or more bedrooms, dining area, bathroom and cooking facilities – minimum microwave, hotplate, crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils. The accommodation may either be on the host’s property or at a location near by. Breakfast provisions are either supplied daily or once every 2/3 days depending on the duration of the stay.
- The host should be available at all time during a guest’s stay. If not resident they must live within a reasonable distance of the property and information within the unit should clearly indicate their address/telephone number. The host is available to check guests in and check out if required. Servicing should take place at least every 4th day, or at longer intervals at the discretion of the guest, for longer term stays.
Fully Self Catering
- A property offering guests a self-catered sole occupancy unit consisting of one or more bedrooms/suites, dining area with cooking facilities – minimum microwave, hot plates (2), saucepans, crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils. Farmstays may be associated with this category. The host is available to check guests in/out.
- The host should be available at all time during a guest’s stay. If not resident they must live within a reasonable distance of the property and a sign within the unit should clearly indicate their address/telephone number. It is recognised that some businesses that come under the categories of Self contained with Catering and Fully Self Catering may offer both as options to guests.
Guesthouse / Boutique Hotel (greater than 5 accommodation units)
- The host and guests are either accommodated in the same building and the host has a separate individual living area or in an adjacent property. Breakfast may be included in the daily tariff and other meals may be available.
- Shower and toilet facilities are generally ensuite but may in some instances be shared by guests but not with hosts.
- The host or their representative is available to check guests in/out. Communal rooms (not shared with host) – minimum guest dining room and guest lounge area to be provided. Guest rooms are serviced daily or at discretion of the guest.
- The purpose of this clause is to make ineligible for membership businesses recognised as ‘hotels’. The accommodation could be subsidiary to a separate business, such as a wine bar which is open to the general public. Otherwise, there should be no public bar facility available but liquor may be served in a restaurant forming part of the accommodation facility and which is open to the general public.
Open to operators of accommodation as defined above with access to full benefits as a from time to time arranged by the Company see attached schedule A
Associate membership (Non Voting)
Open to accommodation businesses not yet trading. Once trading, is not applicable and full membership should be applied for.
Open to eligible businesses or organisations that provide services or goods that are not in competition to those provided by Hosted Accommodation Australia.
Membership fees will be as set by the Board from time to time and will be for a full year. Pro rata fees will be charged for part year membership.
Membership will only be recorded in the Register of Members in the name of the owner of the business or their appointed representative. Where the member has more than one business owning properties or has multi properties he or she can register as a member of the company in respect to each property as long as a full fee is paid for each property. Jointly owned properties can only have one registered member.