Short term letting

posted in: Current Issues | 0

Here’s what you need to know if you are considering listing your home as a short term let.
Your premises must comply with the Building Code of Australia, state and local planning regulations, and if you are providing food to your guests, the Food Act. Your local council, shire or territory government is the authority to consult on these matters.
Your normal household insurance will not cover short term letting. You risk losing your insurance cover in the event of a claim involving guests.
Short term letting for profit is not a hobby. You are liable to pay income tax on your earnings. See the Australian Tax Office website for full information.
HAA publishes a comprehensive guide to establishing a compliant short term accommodation business.